Patents protect inventions or discoveries in any new, useful and non-obvious process, machine, manufacture, or composition of matter, or improvement thereof. Preparing and prosecuting a patent application before the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office (PTO) requires an acute understanding of: the science and technology underlying the invention; the specialized rules and procedures that govern PTO procedure; and, the specialized law that defines patent rights.
Ryder, Mazzeo & Konieczny has a team of experienced attorneys that have both the technical background and legal experience necessary to effectively and successfully prosecute patent applications and represent clients in all other aspects of patent prosecution and procurement.
In addition to obtaining patent rights in the U.S., Ryder, Mazzeo & Konieczny procures global patent protection for its clients through its worldwide network of foreign associates. We work with our clients from the earliest stages of design and development to the eventual marketing of their products worldwide.
Patents grant the patent holder (inventor or assignee) a limited monopoly in exchange for disclosing the invention to the public. The patent holder may utilize the limited monopoly to exclude others from making, using or selling the invention. Alternatively, the patent holder may license others to make, use or sell the invention in exchange for license royalties.
Ryder, Mazzeo & Konieczny is well versed in drafting and negotiating complex patent license agreements, including exclusive licenses, non-exclusive licenses, field of use licenses and cross-licenses. Ryder, Mazzeo & Konieczny also has the litigation resources and experience to pursue patent infringers and to defend our clients against allegations of infringement in any court throughout the United States.
In addition to procurement, licensing and enforcement, our patent lawyers provide a full range of portfolio-management services. Always aware of client’s business needs, we apply our worldwide experience to help our clients decide what inventions to patent, where (which countries) to secure patent protection, when to maintain those patents in force, and how to enforce those patents.
Our attorneys have expertise in a broad spectrum of patent issues including:
Patent Opinions and Due Diligence
- Patentability Searches and Opinions
- Product Clearance Searches and Opinions
- Infringement Opinions
- Validity Studies
- Procurement – Title and Ownership Due Diligence and Claim Scope Analysis
- Design Applications
- Provisional Applications
- Utility Applications
- Continuation Applications
- Divisional Applications
- Continuation-in-part Applications
- Reissue Applications
- Accelerated Examination Procedure
- National Stage Applications (Based on Foreign or PCT Applications)
- Appeal Proceedings Before to the Board of Patent Office Appeals and Interferences (BPAI)
- Interference Proceedings Before the BPAI
- Re-examination Proceedings
- Licenses – Exclusive Licenses, Non-exclusive Licenses, Field of Use Licenses and Cross-Licenses
- Purchase Agreements
- International Patent Applications – Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) Applications Before International Authorities Including the World Intellectual Property Office.
- Regional Patent Applications – Regional Patent Applications Before Regional Authorities Including The European Patent Office
- Foreign Patent Applications – National Patent Applications Before National Authorities Including :
- Japanese Patent Office
- Canadian Patent Office
- UK Patent Office
- German Patent Office
- Japanese Patent Office
- Canadian Intellectual Property Office
- Hong Kong Patent Office
- Russian Intellectual Property Office
- World Intellectual Property Office
- Australian Patent Office
- The Eurasian Patent Office
- Chinese Patent Office
- Consumer Products & Services
- Electronics, Computers & Software
- Financial Services
- Internet & E-Commerce
- Materials Science
- Mechanical Engineering
- Medical Devices
- Semiconductor Processing & Devices
Trademarks and service marks are terms, designs and other identifiers that symbolize the goodwill a company has in itself, its products and its services. For many companies, trademarks are its most important properties. Ryder, Mazzeo & Konieczny attorneys are well experienced in all facets of trademark law and procedures. Our attorneys, including a former Trademark Chair of the Intellectual Property Section of the Pennsylvania Bar Association, can guide clients from the early screening of potential trademarks for new products to registration in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. We also have obtained international registrations through efficient and cost-effective use of international treaties and procedures.
At RMK, we know that trademark owners must always be vigilant in the protection of these valuable assets, even after registration. We coordinate with our clients to watch for potential threats to their trademarks and react quickly to neutralize any threats so that our clients’ trademarks are maintained and strengthened over time.
RMK attorneys have a wealth of experience litigating offensively and defensively their clients’ trademarks in various courts and in the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
We also have the expertise to assist our clients with obtaining licensing and co-existence agreements that further protect and strengthen their trademarks.
Our attorneys trademark experience and know-how includes all of the following trademark services:
Trademark Clearance and Due Diligence
- Registrability searches
- Clearance Searches
- Non-Infringement Opinions
- Original applications
- Trademark Trial & Appeal Board (TTAB) proceedings
- Defending opposition proceedings
- Concurrent use proceedings
Trademark watch to guard against potential threats
- Trademark Enforcement
- – Prosecuting Opposition and Cancellation Proceedings
- – Federal Litigation – including temporary restraining order and preliminary injunctions
Internet and Domain Names
- Uniform Domain Name Proceedings (UDRP)
- International (ICANN)
- Madrid Protocol
- Community Mark
- Franchise agreements
Monitor new developments on the Internet that could impact our clients’ trademark rights, including issues with social networks such as Facebook and Tweeter
Provide guidance for clients’ trademark protection policies in the use of their trademarks.
Copyrights cover a wide range of creative works, including books, music, photographs, film, artwork, software and other original intellectual creations. Ryder, Mazzeo & Konieczny attorneys have the skills and experience to protect their clients’ valuable copyrights. We assist our clients with registering their copyrights in the U.S. Copyright Office. Also, we are well versed in drafting and negotiating complex copyright license and assignment agreements, as well as writing copyright release forms as needed by our clients. We also have the resources and experience to defend our clients’ copyrights and pursue infringers on their behalf in courts throughout the United States. Learn more about our Litigation services.
Our attorneys’ copyright services include the following examples:
- Copyright Registration Applications in the U.S. Copyright Office and Abroad
- Copyright Disputes: Enforcement and Defense
- Federal Litigation – including temporary restraining order and preliminary injunctions
- License and Assignment Agreements
- Copyright Forms including Release Forms
- Monitor new developments on the Internet that could impact our clients’ copyrights, including issues with social networks such as Facebook and Twitter
- Provide guidance for clients’ copyright protection policies in the creation and use of their copyrights
Patent litigation has shown a persistent and unrelenting growth, with the stakes and costs growing accordingly.
IP litigation is very complex and requires an acute understanding of both the underlying technology and the specialized law, rules and procedure that govern such disputes. Ryder, Mazzeo & Konieczny has a team of experienced attorneys that litigate intellectual property disputes throughout the country for a wide variety of clients and technologies. Our litigation attorneys have both the technical background and legal experience necessary to effectively and successfully advocate these highly-technical and fact-intensive cases as either a plaintiff or defendant. RMK is equally experienced to assert claims against potential infringers and to defend our clients against charges of infringement.
IP infringement is a special form of harm for any company, which often requires expedited relief from the court. Our litigation team has specialized experience prosecuting and defending motions for temporary restraining orders (TRO) and preliminary injunctions (PI). We have a long track record of obtaining immediate injunctive relief against infringers, counterfeiters, bootleggers, and non-compliant former employees, and of defending client’s against baseless infringement claims from third parties.
Our attorneys have expertise litigating a broad spectrum of IP issues including:
- Patent Infringement
- Patent Misuse/Antitrust
- Patent Invalidity
- Patent Office Interference Proceedings
- International Trade Commission (ITC) Proceedings
Trademark and Brand Litigation
- Trademark and Service Mark Infringement
- Trade Dress Infringement
- Tradename Infringement
- Unfair Competition
- False Advertising
- Palming Off
- Reverse Palming Off
- Unjust Enrichment
- Interference Proceedings
- Opposition Proceedings
Copyright and Content Litigation
- Direct/Indirect/Vicarious Copyright Infringement
- ISP Take-down Procedures
- Vessel Hull Protection Act violations
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act Violations
Trade Secrets and Economic Espionage
- Misappropriation of Trade Secrets
- Uniform Trade Secrets Act violations
- Breach of Employment Agreements
- Breach of Restrictive Covenant
- Breach of Fiduciary Duty
Technology and the Internet
- Pop-up and Pop-under Advertising
- Sponsored Links and Sites
- Framing and Linking
- E-mail Privacy
- Domain Name Disputes
- Internet Privacy Violations
- Computer Fraud & Abuse Act Violations
In today’s fast-paced and increasingly technological world, more and more companies are finding the need to license manufacturing know-how, trade secrets, patents, and other intellectual property. These functions are critical to outsourcing, franchising, and venture capital financing as well as aiding in assessing mergers and acquisitions.
Through careful coordination with our client’s management team, the attorneys of Ryder, Mazzeo & Konieczny aid in objectively valuing intellectual property and structure licenses, contracts and agreements to achieve the most beneficial business terms.
Here are some examples of the services our lawyers provide:
- Patent Licensing Agreements
- Trademark Licensing Agreements
- Copyright Licensing Agreements
- Trade Secret Proprietary Agreements
- Technology Purchase and IP Acquisition Agreements
- Technology Joint Venture R&D Agreements
- Product Distribution Agreements
- Website and Internet Development Agreements
- Outside Consultant Agreements
- Computer Software Development and Ownership Agreements
- Employee IP Agreements
- IP Settlement Agreements
Ryder, Mazzeo & Konieczny recognizes that a successful Intellectual property strategy depends largely on a close familiarity with our clients’ operations. As such, we bring considerable experience to our clients on several fronts.
Lawyers in the group devote a significant amount of time providing day-to-day consultation with clients on topics such as: Brand enforcement, Asset strategy, International trademark laws, and responding to actual litigation.
For more information, please feel free to e-mail us.